POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : New black_hole type of 1 proposed as github pull request #86. : Re: New black_hole type of 1 proposed as github pull request #86. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:39:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New black_hole type of 1 proposed as github pull request #86.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 10 Sep 2016 08:47:18
Message: <57d400d6@news.povray.org>
On 09/10/2016 06:45 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 10.09.2016 um 00:12 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>> Notice & image for those following here. Violet spheres mark the center
>> of the inward pulling black holes. Orange marks the inverse, outward
>> pushing black holes. One orange is below the plane in the lowest center
>> case.
>
> It is quite obvious that your contributions are currently focused on
> isosurfaces; but since warps are pattern features, which are first and
> foremost texture tools, maybe an illustration of the new warps' effect
> on textures would also be of interest ;)
>
>> Original github checks clean, but fail after manually bumping up the
>> version numbers in the branch. Unsure why.
>
> It conflicts with changes made to the master branch after you branched
> off (the version numbers, evidently).
>

> I must confess that version number handling is something that seriously
> bothers me, with a good solution still waiting to be found.

Attached is the same sequence of warps applied to a checker pattern on a
plane. No doubt I am interested in isosurfaces, but I also find it
easier to understand what a 3D pattern is really doing by creating
various shapes from the pattern.

As for version number handling I too am finding it awkward. I found
github wouldn't let me create a second fork for the base uberpov. I did
it the recommended way as another branch under my current fork. Because
the two git commit hook scripts are different I symbolically linked the
commit script into my repository, but the execute bits need to be
twiddled with on switching branches if I want it to run. Of course once
a branch has different version numbers these collide with the master
branch numbers on pull / merge. If you find - or figure out - a cleaner
method, please let us know.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'newblack_hole_type1aspat.jpg' (936 KB)

Preview of image 'newblack_hole_type1aspat.jpg'
newblack_hole_type1aspat.jpg