POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UberPOV is back : Re: UberPOV is back Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:44:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UberPOV is back
From: clipka
Date: 26 Aug 2016 09:26:27
Message: <57c04383$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.08.2016 um 13:45 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> On 08/24/2016 10:06 PM, clipka wrote:
>> FYI, I've just put UberPOV back on the tracks.
>>
>> The current development version includes all the latest and greatest
>> from the POV-Ray 3.7.1 "master" branch, plus the advanced diffuse models
>> (Oren-Nayar and Lommel-Seeliger), and can be found here:
>>
>> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases/tag/v1.37.1.1-alpha.8756754
>>
> Good news.
>
> Am I correct pull requests for potential features would be issued
> against the UberPov develop branch?

That depends.

If the feature fits snugly into POV-Ray proper right away, I'd prefer to
pull it directly into the official branch.

But for features that may need testing "in the wild", I guess UberPOV
would make for a nice testbed and proving ground; after all that was
intended to be one of its main purposes.

> Are new features following the "POV-Ray Patch Identification Proposal"
> you proposed back in 2013?

Yes, I intend to continue that concept.

> I've two initial patches in mind. Namely the new density_file
> interpolations and the tweak to the blob internal variable. In my
> testing earlier this year against many old problem cases(1) the latter
> blob fix looked good to me.

As a matter of fact your density_file patch is the primary reason why
I've revisited UberPOV right now.

As for the "blob internal variable", that doesn't ring a bell in me at
present, but I suspect there's something interesting behind it as well.

Speaking of density files -- since you've been dealing with those
recently, how would you feel about implementing a 3-channel RGB variant?
Something akin to `image_map` but in 3D? I have a hunch that some people
might like to have such a thing, but I currently don't find the time myself.