POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : read pov scene text from RAM instead of disk file : Re: read pov scene text from RAM instead of disk file Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:46:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: read pov scene text from RAM instead of disk file
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Aug 2016 09:02:48
Message: <57baf7f8@news.povray.org>
Le 22/08/2016 à 13:33, Mr a écrit :
> Hi!
> Is there a way for official pov or any other branch/patched verion, to read a
> pov scene from Python string in RAM...?
>
> (either directly or maybe using something like this?
> http://docs.python.org/3/library/io.html#io.StringIO  )
>
> Instead of having to write and read from the text file to disk, it would
> probably make my exporter much faster for small scenes.

If you are on linux, you could mount the directory where the file is
exported as a ramdisk (before launching any of your tools and povray)

http://www.linuxscrew.com/2010/03/24/fastest-way-to-create-ramdisk-in-ubuntulinux/

> http://www.linuxscrew.com/2010/03/24/fastest-way-to-create-ramdisk-in-ubuntulinux/

It has to be on a filesystem for povray, but nothing says that the
filesystem cannot be in RAM.

If you are not changing the default output directory, you should
provision enough room for the intermediate files and output pictures.