POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange shadows under figure : Re: Strange shadows under figure Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange shadows under figure
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 22 Jun 2016 09:34:28
Message: <576a93e4$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/22/2016 07:36 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:

> I'd guess the first issue is the area_light is very near your object for
> the vectors you have specified(1).

Wondering if maybe the near area light (like 36 discrete lights being
placed so near) would still more or less work out OK because of jitter.
In other words, now wondering if the jitter is in the area light to
light space and not the pixel AA space(1).

It is! 15+ years using POV-Ray and I'm still getting my head around
fundamental things...

The result in my local test was still noisy so suppose it might still
affect radiosity. Increasing the area light count might help if true.

Bill P.

(1) For what it is worth, the following from the Making animation
section of the documentation is what confused me about how jitter really
works. "Jitter is a very small amount of random ray perturbation
designed to diffuse tiny aliasing errors...". The jitter being in the
area light to light space I believe means the ray to light perturbation
can be any magnitude from really tiny to really large.