POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange shadows under figure : Re: Strange shadows under figure Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:02:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange shadows under figure
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 22 Jun 2016 07:36:08
Message: <576a7828$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/22/2016 06:28 AM, aradan.d wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to render a surface I exported from a VTK visualisation software,
> but there are some strange lights under the surface
>
> The bottom part of my figure is here:
>
> https://s32.postimg.org/7y35aegp1/sample.png
>

> I'm using this settings at the beginning of my POV file
>
> Is there a way to fix that? I tried increasing the max_trace_level but it
> doesn't change, neither with the photons although I didn't specify photons in
> the main figure (it gets too slow)

I'd guess the first issue is the area_light is very near your object for
the vectors you have specified(1). Probably the low quality radiosity
settings play a part too. Changing the max_trace_level is unlikely to
affect anything.

Suggest:
- Comment out all the photon stuff.
- Change the first line of your light source to say :

light_source { <-3, -3, 4.>*100

- Change your radiosity settings to:

radiosity { Rad_Settings( Radiosity_Final, on, on ) }

Aside: If the triangle count on your mesh is low you might also be
seeing sharp edges in the base mesh - smoothing the mesh might help.

Bill P.
(1) - There is a circular / auto-orient area light option which is
useful too.