POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: clipka
Date: 23 May 2016 23:41:41
Message: <5743cd75$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.05.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Warp:
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> If I was crazy, I would use C++ and a compiler as the parser
>
> This is actually not such an absolutely crazy idea. Consider that
> Apple's Metal shading language (which is an alternative to glsl)
> uses C++11 as its syntax (and AFAIK pretty much a C++11 compiler
> to generate the shader binary). These shaders are compiled at
> runtime rather than compile time (they are not compiled from
> *within* the shader code, but from the calling code, but
> nevertheless, it's done at runtime.)
>
> Nowadays this would be extremely feasible because LLVM has been
> designed from the ground up for precisely this kind of thing.

Not specifically for C++, but yes.

Use of LLVM in a future POV-Ray SDL parser can be considered a given,
both for the scene in general and, even more importantly, any
user-defined "functions" (which will presumably be much more powerful
than they are now).

(Unless something even better than LLVM happens to pop up before we
actually start working on that new parser.)