POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
16 Apr 2024 09:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: Warp
Date: 23 May 2016 12:02:27
Message: <57432993@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> If I was crazy, I would use C++ and a compiler as the parser

This is actually not such an absolutely crazy idea. Consider that
Apple's Metal shading language (which is an alternative to glsl)
uses C++11 as its syntax (and AFAIK pretty much a C++11 compiler
to generate the shader binary). These shaders are compiled at
runtime rather than compile time (they are not compiled from
*within* the shader code, but from the calling code, but
nevertheless, it's done at runtime.)

Nowadays this would be extremely feasible because LLVM has been
designed from the ground up for precisely this kind of thing.

--
                                                          - Warp