POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Python, subprocess, error! : Re: Python, subprocess, error! Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:35:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python, subprocess, error!
From: clipka
Date: 28 Apr 2016 17:37:24
Message: <57228294$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.04.2016 um 22:28 schrieb dick balaska:
> Am 2016-04-28 12:36, also sprach clipka:
>
>> If you do have compelling reason to spread a scene across multiple
>> directories, use only RELATIVE PATH NAMES with FORWARD SLASHES as path
>> separators. The forward slash is the one and only character that is
>> recognized as a path separator by each and every contemporary official,
>> semi-official or unofficial version, port or fork of POV-Ray I'm
>> currently aware of. (*)
>
> s/POV-Ray/operating system/
> ftfy.

Not entirely, to my dismay. Most notably, some of the core gizmos of the
Windows command prompt (which I do consider part of the OS) still
stubbornly refuse to recognize forward slashes as path separators.

I guess I really need to learn Powershell programming.

But yeah, backslash-only software has become rare. I guess we can thank
the internet for that.

As for "ftfy": Nope, I didn't misspeak, mistype or whatever. In case of
POV-Ray it's not the OS that decides what characters can be used as path
separators, but POV-Ray itself. Forward slashes would continue to work
perfectly fine in POV-Ray for Windows even if Microsoft suddenly decided
to drop support at the OS level (or so I think; at worst it would be a
matter of changing the compile-time configuration). It should also be
comparatively easy to add support for backslash path separators to the
Unix version (though I don't know why anyone would want to do that).
Conversely, by tampering with the compile-time configuration you could
easily break some functionality of POV-Ray for Windows with regards to
backslash-separated paths.