POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Broken Arrow : Re: Broken Arrow Server Time
23 Apr 2024 21:37:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Broken Arrow
From: clipka
Date: 11 Apr 2016 20:42:06
Message: <570c445e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.01.2016 um 16:10 schrieb clipka:
> While I've managed to sort out the problem that surfaced on Semaphore,
> something's still amiss with the current GitHub master branch: The other
> automated Unix build service -- Travis CI -- keeps building binaries
> that either fail with "Operation timed out." or even core dump when
> trying to render the biscuits test scene. Unfortunately I can't recreate
> the problem here.

Okay, I am still officially stumped why the problem suddenly surfaced
when it did.

However, after a tedious uphill battle to first install Ubuntu 12 on an
Oracle VM, then struggling with Ubuntu's user interface to get all the
packages I thought I needed, followed by getting POV-Ray to build
without optimizations (which for some reason seemed to require an
additional boost library not required by the standard optimized build)
and with debug information, I finally got valgrind to give me some
hints. Kudos to whoever invented this piece of anti-crap.

It seems that something somehow exposed a problem with an uninitialized
data field in the POVMS message-passing layer between the back- and
front-end.

Having fixed this bug, I can now report that at last POV-Ray
successfully builds on Ubuntu 12 again.

Yay!