POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Experimental alternative diffuse models : Re: Experimental alternative diffuse models Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experimental alternative diffuse models
From: clipka
Date: 5 Apr 2016 14:43:30
Message: <57040752@news.povray.org>
Am 05.04.2016 um 14:50 schrieb And:
> "And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>> Am 31.03.2016 um 19:27 schrieb clipka:
>>>

>>> - My implementation of the Oren-Nayar model turns out to be bugged.
>>>

>> I like the feature, could I help test it? I have read this model on wikipedia
>> and thought about it for a while.
>
> I just tried your new texture. The bigger the sigma the surface appears darker
> when applying the same diffuse value. It is from the Oren-Nayar model itself I
> have confirmed.
>
> Is this the bug you said?

No; since it's an intrinsic property of the model, I don't consider it a
bug.

What I got wrong is the dependence on "sideways" illumination, if you
know what I mean.

In the model there's a term depending on the angle between the light
source and eye directions /projected/ onto the surface (the azimuth
angle, if you like). Normally I should compute the projected vectors,
normalize them, and compute the dot product, to get the cosine of the
angle. But I forgot the normalization step.