POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Searching the Help file. : Re: Searching the Help file. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Searching the Help file.
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 24 Feb 2016 22:05:43
Message: <56ce6f87$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/24/2016 8:41 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> That brings to mind why chm ... it's been obsolete for sometime now and
> only exists as legacy now. At any rate I got tired of being the only
> person doing /any/ of the grunt work necessary to get this fixed. I
> don't use windows version so this just dropped off my radar. I getting
> plenty of mileage out of stand-alone unix version docs. When I want to
> find something quickly I just go 3.3.1.2 Keywords section.

CHM is pretty great. Quick loading when compared to PHP. Can search all
help files or just within one page. Nested, alphabetical index with more
stuff than just key terms. A TOC that is always visible and within easy
reach, and automatically shows/highlights the page you are on.
Context-sensitive help, as clipka mentioned.

I don't think anyone here is going to roll an alternative that is just
as good. Just because an OSS alternative is /possible/ doesn't mean
anyone will get around to actually making it.

Mike