POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Oktoberfest puzzle : Re: Oktoberfest puzzle Server Time
18 Apr 2024 17:45:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oktoberfest puzzle
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Nov 2015 22:29:58
Message: <564d4236$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/18/2015 05:29 PM, Eriban wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the slight risk of spamming this low-traffic group, I want to share the
> latest puzzle animation I made. It features the Oktoberfest puzzle designed by
> Christoph Lohe. The puzzle is interesting because it consists of six identical
> pieces, yet has a solution that is relatively complex.
>
> I did my best to let the wood texture resemble that of the actual puzzle I own.
> For this it was required to vary the texture depending on the orientation of the
> surface. Somehow this really impacts the color. Furthermore, the texture differs
> depending on whether it is an inner part or outer part of the puzzle piece, due
> to the finishing that is applied to the wood. The way I modeled this was by
> breaking up the puzzle pieces via CSG, so that each surface could be assigned
> the right texture-variant. I am happy with the resulting look, which can be seen
> in the attached image, but if there are easier ways to achieve the same effect,
> I would be interested in hearing them.
>
> The entire animation can be found on YouTube at
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypULBP5mXY
>
> I hope you like it.
>
> Cheers,
> Erwin

Well done & looks great. I enjoy these & only know new videos exist on
youtube via your posts here. I think your posts fit perfectly with the
purpose of this newsgroup.

As for easier methods to handle the differing finishing, nothing more
efficient than what you have done immediately comes to mind given you
have some beveling. If it were all just boxes - perhaps - UV box mapping
would be somewhat simpler than CSG.

Bill P.