POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Poll: Any Build Problems? : Re: Poll: Any Build Problems? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:54:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Nov 2015 22:07:11
Message: <5647f6df$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/13/2015 04:59 PM, clipka wrote:

Thanks for the additional information on what libboost-dev really is.

I was thinking some more and two packages not in the unix/README.md
"Dependencies" list that I'd vote to be there are autoconf and
libsdl-dev. We need the autoconf package for the configuration process.
The Simple DirectMedia Layer libsdl-dev package is required for the
povray render display (+D) to work. The need for latter package is
mentioned in the unix/install.txt file, but I expect the display
capability is something most users will want.

So, to be complete for my fresh Unbuntu 14.04 install I ended up running
this set of commands in an xterm window:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install autoconf
sudo apt-get -y install build-essential
sudo apt-get -y install git
sudo apt-get -y install libboost-all-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libjpeg-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libopenexr-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libpng-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libsdl-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libtiff-dev
sudo apt-get -y install unzip
sudo apt-get -y install zlib1g-dev

The generic names resolve to versions of the libraries which are fine
for the povray 3.7* compile. The build-essentail and unzip are likely
redundant/not strictly needed. Further, git is needed for the build only
if pulling/managing the source code with git.

Lastly, you'd asked about versions of boost and gcc. Unbuntu 14.04
libboost-all-dev resolves to boost version 1.54. The gcc compiler
version is 4.8.4.

Bill P.