POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Compiling 3.7 RC7 with Visual Studio Express 2012 : Re: Compiling 3.7 RC7 with Visual Studio Express 2012 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.7 RC7 with Visual Studio Express 2012
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jul 2015 00:18:18
Message: <55a0990a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.07.2015 um 23:32 schrieb atlaste:

> I've also
> changed a ton of boost::tr1 to std; that's how it should be anyways if you're
> using 'using' throughout the solution.

Wait... what?

There's not a single "boost::tr1" in the code.

If you're referring to the "boost/tr1/*.hpp" include files, and/or the
use of namespace "tr1::" where C++11 now has the same functionality as
"std::", - by all means leave them be:

(1) POV-Ray is /not/ written in C++11; it is written in C++03/TR1.
Consequently, the TR1 functionality should /not/ be accessed via the
namespace where it resides in C++11, but via the original "tr1::" namespace.

(2) This is a deliberate decision, aimed at providing maximum
portability. To my knowledge, all contemporary C++11 compilers also
still support the "tr1::" namespace.

(3) The use of "boost/tr1/*.hpp" instead of the corresponding TR1 header
files is also deliberate, in order to provide compatibility with pre-TR1
C++03 compilers. The boost/tr1 header files are stubs that pull in
either the compiler's own TR1 headers (if available), or map boost's
implementations of the same functionality into the "tr1::" namespace.
Likewise, it can be expected that future versions of those header files
will also pull in from "std::" of any C++11 compilers that cease to
natively support the "tr1::" namespace.