POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problem while trying to install libjpeg8-dev : Re: Problem while trying to install libjpeg8-dev Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem while trying to install libjpeg8-dev
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jun 2015 21:39:56
Message: <558cad6c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.06.2015 um 01:23 schrieb Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Now I embarked on the long, long journey to GeoPOV, my binary mesh patch
> project aimed at creating slices of planetary surfaces from image files
> or even ASCII elevation data without generating gigabytes of ASCII code
> overhead (see also thread on povray.general)... first station will be
> compiling the current stable POV-Ray 3.7 distribution from GitHub under
> Linux.
>
> unix/README.md recommends to have (among others) libjpeg8-dev
> pre-installed before starting the prebuild.sh script. When I tried this:
>
> apt-get install libjpeg8-dev
>
> I got the following error message (translated from German):
>
> Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
>   libjpeg8-dev : Hängt ab von: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) aber 8d-1+deb7u1 soll
> installiert werden
>
> The following packages have unsolved dependences_
>    libjpeg8-dev : Depends on: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) but 8d-1+deb7u1 shall be
> installed

The corresponding English message would actually be:

  libjpeg8-dev : Depends: libjpeg8 (= 8b-1) but 8d-1+deb7u1 is to be
installed

As far as I understand, this means that libjpeg8 version 8b-1 is
currently installed on your system, but the most recent libjpeg8-dev
version is 8d-1+deb7u1; apt-get is complaining that they don't fit together.

You need to either specifically install the libjpeg8-dev matching your
installed libjpeg8, which (as far as I understand) the following command
should do:

   apt-get install libjpeg8-dev=8b-1

or you need to upgrade libjpeg8 to the most recent version:

   apt-get upgrade libjpeg8
   apt-get install libjpeg8-dev