POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : How to "roundify" objects : AFAIK it should be integrated in Povray Server Time
24 Apr 2024 22:08:59 EDT (-0400)
  AFAIK it should be integrated in Povray
From: Lars Rohwedder
Date: 21 May 2015 04:05:54
Message: <555d91e2$1@news.povray.org>
> I have never found a satisfactory solution to the general rounding
> problem. Isosurface blobs are good, but isosurfaces take so long to
> render. Extensive macros for CSG, or hand-modelled meshes seem the
> best value for time vs results...

My rough idea:

There is already a function that returns whether a vieving ray "hits"
the surface of a given object's surface (and where it hits). I assume
this function is used in the render core of Povray, too.

So it should be possible to provide another function that returns the
point where the distance between ray and object is 0, but where it has a
given distance 'd'.

Rendering using that function should result in "puffed-up" objects, so
you have to shrink your objects by 'd' before (which can be done by the
Povray core automatically, too. AFAIK)

I think the question whether this is possible should go to the Povray
core developer, not the tool developer. So: Wrong newsgroup... ;-(

Lars R.