POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray 3.7.0 Crashing on Raspberry Pi : Re: Povray 3.7.0 Crashing on Raspberry Pi Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:02:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.7.0 Crashing on Raspberry Pi
From: clipka
Date: 18 Mar 2015 04:01:35
Message: <550930df$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.03.2015 um 02:48 schrieb Craig Lindley:

> I'm doing this on a Raspberry Pi2 with four cores and it is amazing fast.
> Unfortunately ArtRays runs for a while and then povray crashes with the
> following error:
>
> povray: /usr/include/boost/thread/pthread/recursive_mutex.hpp:101: void
> boost::recursive_mutex::lock(): Assertion `!pthread_mutex_lock(&m)' failed.
>
> Anyone seen this before and maybe know of a fix?

That does /not/ sound good at all.

It indicates that for some reason the boost threads library doesn't work
properly.

There is no way this can be fixed in POV-Ray itself (short of using a
different multithreading library, which would be a major undertaking),
and the only thing you as a user can do about it (short of reporting the
problem to the boost developers and waiting for a fix) is minimizing the
probability that thread synchronization issues arise.

The most thread synchronization heavy component of POV-Ray is the
radiosity sample cache. If you're using radiosity and don't want to do
without, you might want to try UberPOV and its no_cache feature.