POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Notes on multiple user setups : Re: Notes on multiple user setups Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:42:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Notes on multiple user setups
From: Chris Cason
Date: 5 Mar 2015 15:49:12
Message: <54f8c148$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/03/2015 01:58, Erich wrote:
> "Non-Standard Installations" section which many people seeking help for this are
> directly linked to.  Having a switch named "/Install" for something that is
> already installed adds to the confusion.  I think "\paths" would make more
> sense.

This is a fair point, though I will mention that the main purpose of
/install is not for pre-installed executables but for the case where
the EXE is on the network or has otherwise been made available to the
user without their needing to run anything prior to that.

> The documentation states that "it may not be necessary to install anything", but
> gives no information on how to get POV-Ray on the machine short of
> "installation".

The main impetus for the /install switch was requests from lab techs
using POV in a educational setting. In those cases the software is
usually available on the network or in some other pre-mapped location.

> If I get time (and you are interested), I will take a stab at specific
> suggestions for the documentation related to multiple users to make it less
> "developery" and more friendly for lab manager types who are the ones most
> likely to be using it.

Thanks for the offer.

I think what I need to do now is actually implement the default file
install on first launch like you and others have suggested. I need to
do it in such a way that it works even if the exe is on the network,
so it can't depend on the files being installed locally; probably to
do this I'll create a separate user-files installer that lives with
the main exe.

Once I've done that I'll let folks here know and they can test, and if
you like you can update the documentation to suit.

regards,

-- Chris