POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : boost max_trace_level? : Re: boost max_trace_level? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:50:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: boost max_trace_level?
From: clipka
Date: 31 Jan 2015 19:28:10
Message: <54cd731a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.01.2015 um 23:01 schrieb John:
> I am using Yvo's 3.7.0 RC6 unofficial (Universal 64 bit, Dec 14 2012) in OS X to
> research turbulence models in the atmosphere, using clipka's focal_blur camera
> that allows you to specify the number of test rays.
>
> However, I've bumped into the max_trace_level limit of 256.
>
> Any chance of making a special edition for OS X/Yosemite that boosts this limit?

That would certainly be a job for Yvo himself.

Building such a version should be a piece of cake (for someone familiar
with building for OS X); from what I see, it should suffice to build
with the preprocessor macro MAX_TRACE_LEVEL_LIMIT predefined to
something larger than 256.

There might however be other limitations lurking in the shadows; they
probably won't kick in right at max_trace_level 257, but don't expect
max_trace_level 1000000000 to work flawlessly ;-)