POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : VR Brainstorming : Re: VR Brainstorming Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:56:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VR Brainstorming
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2014 08:42:19
Message: <54158d2b@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2014 23:51, clipka wrote:
> Am 13.09.2014 23:38, schrieb Stephen:

>> Are you sure? Bishop3D can import a subset of SDL and display it in
>> OpenGl. No I'm not asking you to write a parser as I've read the answer
>> a thousand times. :-(
>> Just a thought.
>
> Well, OpenGL does need a mesh representation of the scene, so yes, I'm
> sure about this statement ;-)

I did not know that. You have boggled my mind.

> Whether the conversion process would be render-ish or parse-ish is an
> entirely different question.

I'm out of my depth here.

> As for the parser: We already have one - it's part of POV-Ray.

That I knew. :-)

> Ideally, we'd have a proper clear-cut C++ API for the representation of
> a scene (at present the internal representation /still/ partially C-ish
> and poorly delineated), and the parser would be just one module using
> this API to generate such a scene. Add to that a feature in the API to
> get a mesh representation from any arbitrary shape, and we'd have the
> best core for a POV-Ray SDL import filter one could ever wish for.

I like the sound of that.

> As a matter of fact this is the direction the dev team intends to go, in
> order to make it easier to integrate components of POV-Ray into other
> pieces of software - be it as an input filter or a render engine. But it
> won't happen overnight, and I won't be the only one working towards this
> goal.

Are we thinking about Pov 4.0?
It all sounds good

>>> Unfortunately I have only a rather basic understanding of how a
>>> real-world lathe is used in practice, and have never gotten my hands on
>>> one myself, but I know there are various "handicrafters" among you
>>> people, who certainly have plenty of experience in this area, so I'd
>>> appreciate any input especially from you guys.
>>>
>> It is basically a SOR.
>
> Thanks, my basic understanding of a real-world lathe does cover /that/
> fact ;-)

I knew I should have put a smiley there.

> I've even heard tell that it is typically used with sharp tools to
> remove parts of the material. :-)

And abrasive ones for Anti-Aliasing.

Think wood turning, it is simpler and more "hands on".
I've never used a lathe myself but I've stood beside people who were
using them and watched.

In the virtual world you could have an object spinning in mid air to be
turned (shaped). So to add verisimilitude the left hand side (LHS) will
have a spindle or a chuck that holds the wood and rotates it. The
spindle is set into bearings called a headstock. This is driven either
by a motor or a foot treadle. The RHS of the wood is kept in place using
what is called a Tailstock.
(At this point I thought that if you could have haptic feedback a
virtual potters wheel might be simpler. Less parts.)
Or if you are turning a bowl no Tailstock.
You need a toolrest to support the cutting tool.
That is it in its simplest form.

See if these help
http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Beginners/beginners.html#Lathe

http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article/turning-for-beginners-part-1/885