POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : EPSpline + AutoHotKey Script : Re: EPSpline + AutoHotKey Script Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:08:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EPSpline + AutoHotKey Script
From: Ed Hynan
Date: 9 Sep 2014 15:55:38
Message: <540f5b3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/09/2014 11:27 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Ed Hynan <no_### [at] examplecom> wrote:
>> On 09/07/2014 03:16 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>>> A few things I'm noticing about this as I learn how to use it:
>>>
>>> 1.  I get "Only /EDIT and /RENDER may be passed to previous
>>> instance"
>
> I found a way to prevent that for now:
> Uncheck "Keep Single Instance" under OPTIONS.
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/684/

Good! I just spotted that too.

> I think somehow it ought to be possible.  Under OPTIONS there is the Drag'N'Drop
> Destinaation - where one can choose Editor or Renderer.
>
> Under Render there is "Select File and Render"
>
>>> 2.  If I close POV-Ray and launch with EPSpline, it then wipes out my
>>> previously opened tabs.
>
> I'm guessing that as long as the tabbed instance is closed last, the tabs will
> be preserved.

Something to try: epspline Edit->Preferences dialog, 'POV-Ray Options'
field, append /NORESTORE (I'm not certain it'll help but looks worth a try).

> Thank you for taking the time to create and  keep developing this!
>
> I suppose what I found odd, being new to using this, was that the temporary
> files that get generated automagically render things how I'd want and expect
> them, but that the include file doesn't include that transform, and that there's
> not an export option for saving a copy of the temp file as a scene.
> My thought is just that - the work's already done - why tell the user to REDO
> it?  Just save the .pov file with the proper SDL already implemented.

Well, for each individual object, e.g. "foo", the exported file has a
macro foo_NORMAL_TRANSFORM that scales the object to one unit in the
greater dimension, centers the object at <0,0,0>, and does the inversion
to expected orientation.  That macro can be used in SDL, or
before including, declare foo_USE_NORMAL_TRANSFORM and that will enable
a transform { foo_NORMAL_TRANSFORM } within a conditional within the
object declaration.

What is missing is a similar macro for all the objects of a type (prism
or lathe) collectively that could be applied to a union or merge.  Maybe
next release.

> I see that you have a lot of "constants" in the generated include file.
> I was able to derive MOST of those on my own to see what was going on, but some
> remain mysterious.  Taking all of the Y-values (and Z, in the case of the prism)
> and subtracting them from the MAX of the combined X&Y's of the lathe and prism
> flipped it upside down.That might be an option for generating the include file
> so that it's closer to "native" - no transforms needed.  It also drops the base
> down to zero.
> Maybe just a "flip vertical" option one could do before export.
>
> Would it be possible to allow viewing space to the left of -X values?  I had a
> control point that hung out back there.
>
> Would it possible to select a point I'd like to be ON the axis, and then SNAP
> the whole object to the y-Axis based on that point's X-value?
>
> I had some trouble with a few extra points floating around - but I couldn't see
> them (so I could delete them) until I plotted them out.  Would it be possible to
> select a point and then step forwards or backwards along the spline so one could
> follow the points "in order"?
>
> Just some food for thought and suggestions.
> Again - great work - well beyond my present skill set.

Well, there's no limit to good ideas, but there is a severe limit on the
time I can spend on epspline.  It was began to scratch an itch and
released in the hope it is helpful, but it brings no income (which I
happen to need very much).

-Ed