POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UberPOV v1.37.0.0-beta.6 released : Re: UberPOV v1.37.0.0-beta.6 released Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:56:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UberPOV v1.37.0.0-beta.6 released
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2014 11:29:22
Message: <53fdf952$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.08.2014 08:57, schrieb scott:

>>> A simple way to check that: Launch a 2 or 3 frames animation with no
>>> changes between the frames.
>>> If there is a repeatable pattern, the images will show the same pattern.
>>> If the pattern is just random noise, it will change from frame to frame.
>>
>> OK it's the same every frame, I'll post an image in p.b.i.
>
> Actually I just realised this has an implication, that you can't render
> N times on one machine (or I assume on N machines) and then average the
> result. Should there be a way to set the RNG seed that is used for
> choosing the direction to shoot rays?

By default UberPOV will seed each thread's stochastic RNG with the
current time plus thread number, but I guess I should change this so
that a render started 1 second later doesn't give you the same seeds for
threads 1..N as the previous one for threads 0..(N-1), and I should also
look into why this doesn't seem to work for animations.

That aside, you can always specify a custom seed (or, more precisely,
seed base, as UberPOV will still add the thread number to it) using the
"+SSn" or "Stochastic_Seed=n" option.