POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation tool? : Re: Animation tool? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation tool?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Jun 2014 04:30:05
Message: <53ae7d0d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 27/06/2014 20:23, clipka nous fit lire :
> Hi folks,
>
> yes, I know, google is my friend, but before I dig through tons of web
> pages about tons of different tools, I thought I'd ask you folks here.
>
> I need an animation tool with the following properties:
>
> - Runs on Windows 7 x64.
>
> - Takes a numbered series of images as input, just like the stuff
> POV-Ray spits out.
>
> - Generates output that can be viewed in Windows Media Player without
> fuss (i.e. no need to install 3rd party codec packages). (The ability to
> create animated GIFs would be a nice-to-have, too.)

Which version ? (12 is on 7, Vista & Server 2008 have 11, which is also
available for XP, but 10 is the one for Server 2003, and if the upgrade
was not done, 5.1 might be found on XP!)

Once you have restricted somehow the version, the list of available
default codec might be easier to reduce.

animated gif is not specific to Windows, and finding some software for
that should be easy (unless you need a freeware on windows). The issue
with gif is the limited palette of 256 colours (in theory per bloc, but
it is safer to assume a single global palette of 256 colours).

> - Easy to use; ideally I'd just right-click on the first image of the
> animation series in the Windows explorer, select "open with... [this
> particular tool]", and it automatically identifies the other images to
> load. It should then either just dump the result into a file with
> similar name without even firing up a UI, or pop up a UI where it only
> takes me two, three clicks to have it generate the animation.

There is something called command-line... a windows port of ImageMagick
would match your requirements... sort of. No UI at all, at least.

> Anyone know a tool that matches these requirements?

Have you looked at Gimp and it's animation package (GAP) ?
(povray--> batch convert to xcf format--> Gap--> Done!)

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)