POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Modify source code of program POVRAY : Re: Modify source code of program POVRAY Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modify source code of program POVRAY
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 May 2014 05:00:24
Message: <5385a5a8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 28/05/2014 02:54, gaprie nous fit lire :
> Hello everyone,
> I want to ask How we can open the source code of program POVRay?
> If we can do it, we can see the flow proses rendering in POVRay and we can
> modify that such we can add some coding (like MPI maybe) for get paralel
> rendering program with POVRay.
> Sorry, I am new in POVRay.
>
> Regards,
> Galih Pribadi

Parallel rendering on multiple cores is already supported (appeared with
3.7).

The license for version 3.7 is AGPLv3. Notice that the license for
previous versions were different.

The main problem for rendering on multiple hosts is sharing the memory
of the parsed scene (and its radiosity/photons data if any).

You can obviously fork from the git repository
 https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray

Many people already did it.

About the branches: 3.7-stable is the slowest one, equivalent to
released version. master is more reactive.
(there is two other branches, but you might stay away from them)