POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : I want to add persistent variables and objects : Re: I want to add persistent variables and objects Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I want to add persistent variables and objects
From: clipka
Date: 24 May 2014 13:40:36
Message: <5380d994$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.02.2014 00:00, schrieb Excentp:
> So what I am trying to do is change the POVRay source code in a way that POVRay
> can retain certain objects in-between frames when generating an animation.
>
> The reason I want to add this feature into my unofficial version is because I
> have a massively detailed mesh that makes up the bulk of my animation, but is
> unchanged in all frames of the animation. As such the reparsing of the scene
> information per frame has become a bottleneck on the overall performance.
>
> Searching this site, I know that in the past some people have managed to put
> together hacks that allow POVRay to have that feature. It would be good to know
> what source files I need to modify, and would be even better would be if someone
> can provide the altered files that when compiled would make povray have this
> feature.

I guess those hacks all pertain to POV-Ray 3.6 or earlier; the internal
architecture has changed a lot from 3.6 to 3.7, and probably haven't
made implementation of such a feature any easier.

I did an attempt at it a few months ago, but postponed any work on it
due to the unexpected complexity of the task.