POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cannot ./configure 3.7 : Mail agent (was Re: cannot ./configure 3.7) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 12:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Mail agent (was Re: cannot ./configure 3.7)
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 5 May 2014 01:57:48
Message: <5367285c@news.povray.org>
Le 04/05/2014 12:52, LanuHum a écrit :
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>

>> Mailer do not like dot at the very start of a line, edited:
>>

>>> cd unix
>>> ./prebuild.sh
>>> cd ..
>>> ./configure --with-x COMPILED_BY="%_vendor" LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread
-lboost_date_time"

> I didn't understand. For Linux everything is truly (correctly, good) written.
> For example my path:
> /home/leonid/arch/srpms/povray-3.7.0.1/unix
> In konsole:
> cd /home/leonid/arch/srpms/povray-3.7.0.1/unix
> ..../prebuild.sh
>
> It is a site problem
> If I from a preview come back in the editor, there is one more point in my
> record. I didn't notice it.
>
> Test:
> .../prebuild.sh
>
> I don't edit:
> ../prebuild.sh

SMTP has a special tag (a dot on a line by itself) to signal the end of
a data block (i.e. the body of email). To avoid issue of truncating the
message (and because nntp messages could also be sent as email), some
smart*** found it simpler to "escape" the starting dot of any text by
doubling it.

The same "magic" happens if you start a line of text with From : it get
escaped, but this time by being quoted with a ">".

Of course, as it is unlikely to happen in real-life (and casual tests),
it is often unnoticed.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.