POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Further bugs in Makefile : Re: Further bugs in Makefile Server Time
16 Apr 2024 12:45:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Further bugs in Makefile
From: Hadmut Danisch
Date: 5 Apr 2014 11:47:56
Message: <534025ac$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.03.2014 10:01, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> The issue I currently see with the install process is rather that the
> povray binary is expecting local configuration in the user directory
> without providing a way to get a template-basic local configuration
> files from the binary itself: the user which performs the installation
> does get the configuration file, but the 200 other users of the system
> do not.

Which is odd.

The correct way would be that the installation script does not touch
anyone's home directory and install's things needed under /usr/local/...

A user then might create a local diretory in the home directory, or even
the binary might create the directory structure when run, and file to be
read might be searched in the order $HOME , /usr/local, which is state
of the art.

However, povray is broken in this aspect and should really be fixed.

And maybe reconsider whether it is really necessary to still support the
Amiga, but not properly support Linux.

regards
Hadmut