POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Further bugs in Makefile : Re: Further bugs in Makefile Server Time
18 Apr 2024 02:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Further bugs in Makefile
From: James Holsenback
Date: 30 Mar 2014 12:35:47
Message: <533847e3$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/30/2014 07:19 AM, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> more problems in 3.7 build process.
>
> After applying the workarounds discussed here I could finish compiling.
>   A 'make install' installs a binary into /usr/local/bin, which starts,
> but does not really work due to missing files:
>
> % povray
> povray: cannot open the system configuration file
> /usr/local/etc/povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory
> povray: cannot open the user configuration file
> /home/hadmut/.povray/3.7/povray.conf: No such file or directory
> povray: I/O restrictions are disabled
>

> make install simply does not install /usr/local/etc/povray/3.7
>

> Instead it tries to install $HOME/.povray into users home directories
> and even fails to do so: chown fails since variable povowner is empty.
>

> However:
>
> This is really bad.
>

> A make install should  *never, under no circumstances* fiddle around in
> users directories. That's no go.  Things have to be installed under
> /usr/local.
>

> regards
> Hadmut

not 100% sure but what i think maybe going on here is what privileges
were being used during the different steps of the build. generally
speaking elevated privileges are not required until you do make install.
but your case would have required required some juice to do the prebuild
part ... to effect changes in the system area's (sym-links and files). i
think to install the binary and related distribution in non system
area's without privileges you should change that at configure phase.