POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : First unofficial patch of POV-Ray 3.7.0: UberPOV : Re: First unofficial patch of POV-Ray 3.7.0: UberPOV Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First unofficial patch of POV-Ray 3.7.0: UberPOV
From: Tim Cook
Date: 20 Nov 2013 18:05:20
Message: <528d4030$1@news.povray.org>
On 2013-11-18 09:36, clipka wrote:
> I know that you love that trick, and have in some tutorial made claims
> that it is a sufficient replacement for inbuilt blurred reflections, but
> the above facts make it no more than a nasty kludge. One that can be
> used to good effect if you invest sufficient time and effort, but a
> kludge nonetheless.

Micronormals (which is how real-world blurred reflections happen, afaik)
are a kludge?  I'd think the inbuilt blurred reflection would be moreso,
as it's a corner-cutting technique to save time and computational
resources...  ;)

(Of course, this is semantic and depends on whether your ideal rendering
engine allows processes indistinguishable from reality or not.)