POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Interested in CMake support (build system, IDE integration) : Re: Interested in CMake support (build system, IDE integration) Server Time
18 Apr 2024 10:03:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interested in CMake support (build system, IDE integration)
From: clipka
Date: 14 Nov 2013 06:54:58
Message: <5284ba12$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.11.2013 11:01, schrieb ideasman42:

>> I do not know if the Windows part is happy with the MSVC projects (or
>> whatever they now named the IDE). But the official one has graphical
>> interface not available in unix, so factoring on makefile seems futile.
>
> Done well, CMake can be used to generate MSVC project files to save you the
> hassle of maintaining them and committing them into your source.

While that may well be true, and is probably a big benefit for projects
that have their origins outside the Windows world, it may actually be
counter-productive in a project like POV-Ray where MSVC happens to be
the primary development environment, and where the primary developers
don't have much CMake experience themselves. I see a risk here that it
would create a dependency on external expertise, which in a hobbyist
project cannot be guaranteed to persist.

Now if a CMake setup would be started by someone with enough personal
motivation to carry it through its infancy and push it to a high level
of quality, switching over to CMake as the primary build system might at
some time become a viable and productive option; it's not like
maintaining native MSVC project files is a perfect solution. But if this
would be your only reason to set up a CMake system, then don't do it.