POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Speeding render times : Re: Speeding render times Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:51:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding render times
From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2013 12:19:30
Message: <521e2312$1@news.povray.org>
>> I often see folks with issues where only a few components of a scene actually
>> change, while other parts are what are "actively" being rendered.  Would it be
>> possible to define "layers" - some of which would render and others wouldn't?
>
> Even a small change can have an effect on other parts of the scene due to
> shadows, reflections, refractions and radiosity.

And usually if you're sure it won't have any impact (or are not bothered
about the errors) you can write some SDL to render the parts separately
anyway (using #if, texture baking, transparency etc). This is sometimes
done for the background/environment, rendered once with a spherical
camera, and then just included as an HDR textured sphere in future renders.

The only thing that could be improved is not having to reparse the whole
scene each animation frame, but that's not likely to change until the
whole SDL/parser is rewritten. An idea I had was that you could load and
save a "binary" version of an object much like you can do with radiosity
data. That way if you have a huge mesh in an animation (that is not
changing) it wouldn't take forever to parse exactly the same data each
frame.