POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Builtin color spaces, spectral colors? : Re: Builtin color spaces, spectral colors? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 17:56:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Builtin color spaces, spectral colors?
From: scott
Date: 19 Apr 2013 07:46:21
Message: <51712e8d$1@news.povray.org>
> Yes, it will give more physically correct render for strange lights. But the
> most important aspect of spectral rendering is more "natural" color behaviour.
> The problem of rgb illumination model is that the primary colors are
> "orthogonal". So when you say "blue", and "red" they have absolutely nothing in
> common. So a red light will give no illumination to red object, and red and blue
> objects will have no radiosity effect on each other at all.

This is what happens IRL though, isn't it? An sRGB red light source will
have a very narrow spectrum and almost no overlap at all with the
reflective spectrum of an sRGB blue surface, so it will appear black.

I always avoid zero terms in rgb colours too, not because I'm trying to
fake anything but I think it is genuinely more realistic for natural
surfaces and lights.