POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : daylight : Re: daylight Server Time
24 Apr 2024 05:53:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: daylight
From: clipka
Date: 3 Feb 2013 05:08:32
Message: <510e3720$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.02.2013 10:23, schrieb Nathalie:

> Is it possible to calculate daylight according to different methods in POV-ray?
> I would like to try ray-tracing, radiosity and photon mapping. Can anyone help
> me with this?

For proper looking daylight you'll need global illumination, to simulate
the indirect light from the blue sky. Classic raytracing alone won't
give you that, and POV-Ray's Photons implementation doesn't do GI
either. That leaves you with radiosity only.

You might try MCPov as an alternative, which uses stochastic ray tracing
instead of radiosity to compute GI. (Beware of a bug in MCPov though:
You'll need to set the "diffuse" parameter to twice the value you'd use
in POV-Ray.)