POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : New two-hour movie on Chaos made in Povray. : Re: New two-hour movie on Chaos made in Povray. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 10:01:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New two-hour movie on Chaos made in Povray.
From: Warp
Date: 12 Jan 2013 17:30:38
Message: <50f1e40e@news.povray.org>
MichaelJF <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> I tried to download the whole movie and first
> recognised that I have to use bit torrent and then that they implement their own
> page as my new home page and didn't allow to change it back. A simple
> deinstallation of this bit torrent stuff allowed me to restore my favourite home
> page

"Bittorrent" is not a program. It's a protocol. There are like five
gazillion different bittorrent clients for all possible platforms
(differing in ancillary features, GUI, size, required system resources,
and so on.)

The mistake is in the same category as thinking that "World Wide Web"
means the same thing as "Internet Explorer".

Apparently you downloaded some shady bittorrent client from some shady
website that you shouldn't have (which is a big problem in Windows, given
that there's no centralized repository of trusted software for Windows.)

This is a shame, really, because now you got the impression that
"bittorrent" is a program that hijacks your homepage. This has absolutely
nothing to do with bittorrent. You simply downloaded an alleged client
from somewhere you shouldn't have.

(This reminds me of an acquaintance, who is a Windows user, and once
"tried linux". I have absolutely no idea what exactly he did because
it's impossible to get anything coherent from a computer illiterate,
but seemingly he downloaded a Windows program that was riddled with
malware and adware. I have no idea whatsoever why he thought that was
"linux". Anyways, he got the impression that "linux" is a program that
installs malware in your Windows, and therefore he would never use it
again. I was unsuccessful at explaining to him what linux really is.
It was that kind of computer illiteracy...)

> so I will not come
> into the pleasure to look at the whole video, since I will not have this bit
> torrent pirate software again.

Bittorrent is not a "pirate software". A bittorrent client is basically
not much different from a web browser or news reader. It's used to
download and share big files that would otherwise consume too much
server bandwidth. There's absolutely nothing that implies piracy,
especially in this case.

You should download an *actual* bittorrent client from a trustworthy
source.

--
                                                          - Warp