POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layering detail textures : Re: Layering detail textures Server Time
23 Apr 2024 02:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layering detail textures
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 10 Oct 2012 17:45:51
Message: <5075ec8f$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye wrote:

> The problem is that I want to apply a series of overlays to the object as a
> whole, to simulate the effects of age, decals, spray-paint etc...  doing this to
> individual objects would make the csg ten times as complicated - making it
> impossible for me to construct the object procedurally

I agree it is inconvient and not very elegant, but usually it is
still possible. Basically you could turn your procedurally created
objects into macros that takes an array of textures as input, then
you can create instances with correctly layered textures for all
CSG objects you need them in.

> the only other things I can think of is constructing them as csg objects, which
> would be tedious if not impossible, or "spraying" them on as microscopic
> particles using trace and eval_pigment...

I added a feature request in the bug tracker so the issue
doesn't get lost. It does pop up from time to time.

http://bugs.povray.org/task/256