POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : Spectral Rendering with POV-Ray : Re: Spectral Rendering with POV-Ray: comments on the tutorial Server Time
18 Apr 2024 05:08:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectral Rendering with POV-Ray: comments on the tutorial
From: Ive
Date: 28 Sep 2012 08:34:17
Message: <50659949$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.09.2012 10:05, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> I patched in an updated gold nugget bowl with M_Gold(0.9). I first tried
> a reflectance of 0.5 to see the difference.

Looks better, methinks ;)

The problem with most of these "old" texture definitions is not only the
rgb vs. srgb problem. They are simply designed at a time when nobody was
using radiosity or HDR-lighting (i.e. not necessarily HDRI but
light_sources with emitting values higher than 1.0). For example
golds.inc uses an ambient term for the color *calculation* but ambient
(as part of the finish) gets meanwhile switched off as soon radiosity is
used.
I'm always did find it easier to use textures that come close to real
world physics (within the limitations of raytracing) and as such do work
under all lighting conditions (conventional with/without radiosity and
radiosity only) instead of tweaking a texture every time I use it.
To me this is not so much about photorealism, it is more about laziness ;)

-Ive