POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : What 's best way of making this kind of image ? : Re: What 's best way of making this kind of image ? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 00:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What 's best way of making this kind of image ?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Apr 2012 22:20:40
Message: <4f8e24f8$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/17/2012 10:54 AM, zzzzzz wrote:
> I am now using Povray to create so called picons, on a Dreambox satellite
> receiver these icons are shown when you zap to a particular channel, so that you
> see the channel logo when that channel is shown.
> However, I'm trying to make them transparent, so that I could use any kind of
> background and it would not be covered by the background of the picon.
>
> What should be the best way to achieve this ?
> The Dreambox expects an 8-bit paletted PNG file
> Right now I create the image in TGA format in Povray with the +ua option, so
> that the background is transparent.
> Then I use Imagemagick to convert this image to GIF, thereby automatically
> converting the 24 bit colour with 8 bit alpha channel to a 256 colour palette
> file, then convert it with the same tool to PNG.
> The result is far from perfect, though.
> As you can see from the edges, the edges are rough because of this double
> transformation.
> I was wondering if there was a way to immediately create such an 8-bit paletted
> PNG file from within Povray itself, or if there is another, better way to obtain
> this result.
> Does anyone know a way of doing this ?

Uh... Why not just set the output type to +FN8 +UA (F = file type, N =
PNG, 8 = 8 bit color, UA = Alpha output on)? I mean, assuming I didn't
misread the page on those settings... Mind, I have no idea of that is a
"paletted" map, but I would think that any converter you might use would
be doing the same thing at setting that color depth. I might be wrong
though.