POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:36:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 1 Dec 2011 15:50:37
Message: <4ed7e89d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Photography is expensive. That's why only huge publishing corporations
>> can afford to do it.
>
> Photography created specifically according to your specifications /can/
> be expensive, yes. Depends on your motif though: Studio photography is
> pretty affordable actually. After all, the equipment is all there
> already, and all you need to pay is the working time of the
> photographer. With digital cameras, there's also virtually no material
> expense involved.
>
> For example, a professional photo shooting (including makeup and all)
> for a photograph of yourself might come at around 50 €. Probably worth
> it when applying for a new job.

Actually, I've been thinking about getting some photos of me done at
some point... The main reason I haven't is that I probably can't afford it.

> It's when lighting equipment needs to be deployed to some site, the site
> closed down for the shooting, or special props be available, that things
> start getting costly.

Yeah, I don't even want to think about what I would have to pay to get a
photograph of the steaming jungles of Borneo...

>> I'm quite impressed that you can buy a good quality image like that for
>> less than a thousand dollars. Presumably the range of available images
>> is highly limited, however...
>
> *facepalm*
>
> You have the website there. Why /presume/, when you can take a look
> around to /see/ for yourself?

As an exercise, I tried looking for photographs of a specific thing. I
found lots of very nice photos, but nothing approximating what I really
wanted. Basically, to be able to provide the right sort of images for
every need imaginable, you would need an absurdly vast catelogue...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/