POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POVRay 3.7 with depth-map unofficial patch release : Re: POVRay 3.7 with depth-map unofficial patch release Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:53:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay 3.7 with depth-map unofficial patch release
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 10 Nov 2011 04:58:25
Message: <4ebba041@news.povray.org>
Le 10/11/2011 02:22, jhu a écrit :

>> One reason is that we want 3.7.0 release proper to be fit for
>> distribution without having to apologize for a bunch of remaining flaws.
>> Something that can be used not only by POV-Ray veterans, but also by
>> newbies, without much hassle. After all, we've already made the software
>> available (well, mostly that is) for people who don't mind the flaws; we
>> just called it "3.7.RC3", because we don't think it deserves to be
>> called a release proper yet.
>
> I guess. At least for the Linux version, there could just be an official static
> 32-bit and 64-bit binary so people don't have to go through the trouble of
> compiling.

Even with "static", the issue on Linux (and that does not cover all
unix), is the version of libc (which must remains shared);
If you compile for a old libc, fresh system might not have it anymore.
If you compile for a fresh libc, old system might not have it yet.

Moreover, many distributions are happy to make the packaging (especially
if the license turns finally in GPL): debian & ubuntu have their own
povray packages, and i guess redhat has too.

But usually they like stable definitive version, so getting out of RC
stage would be a could step... flyspray 219 and 225 are IMHO the most
blocking (i would say the only blocking) issue.
If you get any clue, I guess you are welcome.
(flyspray 226 might also need an eye, but it's probably a small change
in a constant)

Last but not least: the performance are better if you can compile for
your architecture instead of having to compile in multiple mode with
maximum compatibility (aka 32 bits is compiled for 86386, and 64 bits is
compiled for the first generation of 64 bits...)

(in fact, the performance is even better with the Intel compiler than
with the gnu one, but that's another story)

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.