POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Difference between 3.6 and 3.7 in image : Re: Difference between 3.6 and 3.7 in image Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:56:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference between 3.6 and 3.7 in image
From: Warp
Date: 2 Nov 2011 13:03:36
Message: <4eb177e8@news.povray.org>
jkroby <jkr### [at] p3rinfo> wrote:
> I downloaded povray-3.7.0.RC3 subsurface features to try to use in MH and doing
> some testing I noticed an abysmal difference, the image was much clearer, even
> if I disable all, the configuration files are the same for povray 3.6 and 3.7.

  Are you using "#version 3.7"? If yes, then you need to either:

1) define your colors using 'srgb' instead of 'rgb' (and use 'assumed_gamma'
   with image maps),

2) use "assumed_gamma 2.2" in the global_settings block if you want to get
   the same gamma behavior as with POV-Ray 3.6, or

3) remove the #version directive (or use "#version 3.6"), which achieves
   the same as option 2 above.

  It is generally recommended to use option 1, but when transferring a scene
from 3.6 to 3.7 it may be more convenient to use one of the other two options.
(Also things like color maps cannot yet be replicated in 3.7 using the
default assumed_gamma 1.0, so that might be another situation where you
may need to compromise and use assumed_gamma 2.2.)

--
                                                          - Warp