POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Another reason to hate Windows 7 : Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7 Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
From: Alain
Date: 28 Sep 2011 13:35:58
Message: <4e835afe@news.povray.org>

> I start an overnight render.  I wake up the next morning, expecting a beautiful,
> polished image.
>
> Instead, the damn machine has gone into sleep mode!
>
> Sleep mode is good. It saves power.
>
> BUT NOT WHILE THE COMPUTER IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A TASK.
>
> Someone recently mentioned the principle of least surprise in p.o-t.  Micro$hit
> seems adamantly opposed to the whole concept.

By the way, power management have been there since windows 95 if I
remember corectly... Things like turning display off, powering off the
hard drives when idle, throtling down the CPU if the BIOS support it,...

It's only that some features got added over time as the hardware started
to offer the possibility, and the terminology used seems to have changed
with 7... to some extent.