POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Extensible functionality : Re: Extensible functionality Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extensible functionality
From: Warp
Date: 2 Aug 2011 16:51:14
Message: <4e386342@news.povray.org>
> I'd expect the new scripting language to provide no additional
> functionality that cannot be done with the current SDL in /some/ way or
> another already, except for providing a more powerful language to define
> "function" patterns.

  If that would be the case, it would be very disappointing.

  I would expect the new language to allow doing a lot of things that are
not currently possible. For example, it should allow creating a texture
that says "shoot a ray in this direction (which is calculated from the
intersection point, normal vector and possibly other parameters), return
all the data for the surface it intersects and the intersection point,
and use this as the color of the texture". (Just this alone would allow
a multitude of very diverse features, such as adaptive blurred reflections,
portal textures, ambient occlusion, and so on.)

> In that sense - no, general object collision testing will not be
> possible with it.

  Given that collision testing is possible with the current SDL (even if
it would be laborious, awkward and slow), why wouldn't it be possible with
the new one?

--
                                                          - Warp