POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Extensible functionality : Re: Extensible functionality Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:42:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extensible functionality
From: clipka
Date: 2 Aug 2011 16:02:01
Message: <4e3857b9$1@news.povray.org>
> Would this theoretical scripting language be able to provide me with the
> necessary tools for general object collision testing?

I'd expect the new scripting language to provide no additional
functionality that cannot be done with the current SDL in /some/ way or
another already, except for providing a more powerful language to define
"function" patterns.

In that sense - no, general object collision testing will not be
possible with it.

However, the new language could be expected to be much faster to
execute, and provide new language constructs allowing much easier
handling of aggregate data, so that an approximated object collision
testing based on trace() or inside() tests might become viable at
reasonable quality and script coding effort.