POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Extensible functionality : Re: Extensible functionality Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extensible functionality
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jul 2011 04:30:37
Message: <4e23ef2d@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> Would this theoretical scripting language be able to provide me with the
> necessary tools for general object collision testing?

  I don't see why not. If it's as expressive as any regular programming
language, there shouldn't be any problem.

  The advantage of such a scripting language is that you can do tons of
stuff (which aren't possible currently with POV-Ray) without having to
modify POV-Ray itself, and it will be completely portable (iow. it doesn't
depend on platform-specific code, dynamic linking, or the like).

  (Of course the disadvantage is that, being an interpreted language, even
if byte-coded, it will be slower than native code. OTOH many features do
not need extreme speeds.)

--
                                                          - Warp