POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POVRay 3.7 with depth-map unofficial patch release : Re: POVRay 3.7 with depth-map unofficial patch release Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay 3.7 with depth-map unofficial patch release
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 18 Jul 2011 04:29:49
Message: <4e23eefd$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18/07/2011 00:05, handos nous fit lire :
> Hi Le,
>
> Thanks for having spent time on this. I understand that it's not cleaned up yet
> but it's just a small rudimentary version of the patch I created. I'd take your
> advice and clean up a bit so that it's easy for other guys to understand.
> My intention here was to just get some good feedback on it.
>
> Regarding the purpose, there are many applications in computer vision or
> graphics where one would like to have a depth-map corresponding to the image.
> And one might need to obtain 3D coordinates for each pixel observed in the image
> to aid  3D reconstruction or applications related to Augmented Reality. I had
> searched in the POVRay website to see if anyone had done that before with
> POVRay-3.7. I guess maybe working on depth-map is quite specific but just in
> case anyone wanted to have a depth-map along with image, it might be worth
> taking a look at this patch I released.
>
> I'd definitely add the original version of 3.7 into my git-hub so that it's easy
> to find out the patches I created.
>
> Thanks a lot!

Nice. I would still need a basic tutorial about what happen (from an
external user's point of view).

For instance, take a scene.pov; With normal 3.7RC3, the command line
would be "foo bar zorglub scene.pov" (well probably something more like
"povray -Iscene.pov -H480 -W640 +A0.01 +FN")
The output would be a png file, named scene.png.

With your patched version, if I want the depth map, what is the command
line ? If I do not want the depth map, can I expect using the 3.7RC3
command line with the new binary or do I need something else ?
How is named the depth map file ?
What is its format ? How can I see it (I would like to be impressed like
a lambda Mac/Iphone/Ipad user: no internal techniques, just nice pictures) ?
Is the camera position & setting output in another file (what is its
name ?) or is that part of the depth map file ?

I'm sure the people dealing with depth map on a daily basis all know
this stuff, but so far the poor neophytes are just left on the side of
the road without a clue.