POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message? : Re: first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:07:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message?
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jun 2011 19:13:24
Message: <4e066b94$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.06.2011 20:57, schrieb Marina:

> The version I have is 3.6, downloaded from www.povray.org. I don't see any other
> versions available there except a "Beta of POV-Ray 3.7" but I'm not sure what it
> means to be a beta version. Which one is better for a beginner?

As already mentioned by Christian, despite the website saying "Beta of
POV-Ray 3.7" it'll actually take you to a POV-Ray 3.7 release candidate,
which is what we recommend nowadays.

While "Beta", as Darren mentions, essentially means a version intended
for public testing to hunt down bugs expected to still be there,
"Release candidate" means to say a version intended for public testing
to verify that we addressed all the bugs, i.e. we don't expect to find
any additional bugs.

As a beginner, you should indeed head straight for version 3.7, to get
acquainted with what is currently the latest and the greatest right from
the start.