POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message? : Re: first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:36:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first time trying pov-ray using tutorial.. error message?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Jun 2011 04:23:24
Message: <4e059afc@news.povray.org>
On 25.06.11 09:20, Marina wrote:
> I just discovered the existence of POV-Ray. I found an online tutorial
> (http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/) and typed in the source code for a simple
> red ball exactly as they had it:
>
> camera {
>    location<2,5,-10>
>    look_at<0,0,0>
> }
>
> light_source {
>    <0,-10,0>
>    color rgb<1,1,1>
> }
>
> sphere {
>    <0,0,0>, 5
>    pigment { color rgb<1,0,0>  }
> }
>

> But when I click "Run," a little box pops up that says "Parse Error." What does
> 'parse' mean and why won't it render the image? I even copy and pasted the above
> source code and still nothing.
 >
> Anyone mind helping a first-timer?

Sure, for the meaning of "parse", see <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/parse>
and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsing>. Basically, the error message
says that POV-Ray cannot make sense of your input.

Now, it also says more than just "Parse Error", it also tells you want it
cannot make sense of following the "Parse Error" text in the message window.
What does it say there? - Most likely it is a sentence that contains a
"cannot" or "expected [...] found instead".

	Thorsten

PS: Note that POV-Ray includes a tutorial. Go to the Help menu for the full
documentation of POV-Ray, both reference and tutorial.