POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? : Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:48:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution?
From: clipka
Date: 14 Apr 2011 11:16:02
Message: <4da70fb2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.04.2011 00:38, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:

> At last, after some 8 months, I'm nearly finished with my
> lightmap-baking demo/tutorial. The technique I developed works great
> within the limitations of lightmapping, but I've a problem deciding
> which scripting language to use for a little external tool that is
> necessary to write some files.

Any popular general-purpose scripting language will probably do: I guess
Perl, Python and Ruby all come with interpreters for most any platform
you might name.

I know none of these, so like Darren I'd personally go for Tcl; as
already mentioned, you don't need to use Tk (the most popular GUI
toolkit for Tcl), but I find it a nice-to-have. I know of free
interpreters for both Linux and Windows, and I guess there's something
for the Mac available as well.

One thing that should be noted is that not all people accept all
scripting languages equally well, and some may refuse to install
interpreters for whatever language you choose. I, for instance, would
hesitate to install a PHP interpreter on my machine, but would be ok
with Perl, Python or Ruby (and, as you probably guess, have Tcl
installed already); I must confess this is an only marginally
rationalized preference, but I may not be alone with such a preference.

Interestingly enough, I don't recall ever hearing anyone take a
categoric stance against Tcl, so it might raise the fewest resentments.

That said, when it comes to writing platform-independent scripts with
the intention to distribute them, I think the most commonly used
language for such a purpose might be Perl.

In case you should decide to split up the script into a kind of config
file and the actual code, Java would probably be the way to go.