POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? : Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 14 Apr 2011 06:59:39
Message: <4da6d39b@news.povray.org>
El 14/04/11 04:21, Darren New escribió:
> On 4/13/2011 15:38, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>> Any recommendations? (or perhaps I overlooked a way to do it only
>> with POV-Ray?)
>
> Something you can write in a portable scripting language that you can
>  wrap up as a stand-alone executable for various common platforms is
>  probably best. I use Tcl for that, personally.

   Perhaps I didn't emphasize it enough, but I really hoped not to have
to distribute an executable... the script is very simplistic right now:
it just defines some configuration variables at the top, and uses them
to read a POV-Ray include file, extract objects and material names, and
write some resulting files.

   So, at the moment, the "user" needs to edit the script before using it
on his own scenes. The ideal situation would be to write this tool with
POV-Ray SDL, so I could be sure any POV-Ray user will have the means to
use it, but I think this is not possible.

   Being that lazy, I didn't want to implement proper command-line
arguments or input dialogs, as the whole thing it's just a "proof of
concept" demo. But I would like others to test it, so I guess I will
have to...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia