POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Bravo : Re: Bravo Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:31:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bravo
From: clipka
Date: 4 Mar 2011 19:15:45
Message: <4d7180b1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.03.2011 08:12, schrieb Fabien:
> How did you guys MANAGE to get to this situation ?
>
> After the "admins are gone, pschiiiit", now it's
> a "software issue", which you don't EVEN consider
> to fix.
>
>  From the "bazaar or cathedral", you once chose the
> cathedral, and due to the useless secrecy and disdain
> for newcomers that could help, now that's a shabby
> and ruined cathedral ! I'm talking of POV-Ray, there,
> the IRTC being just the most visible victim of that
> incredible attitude.

Apparently you didn't even bother to inform yourself properly about the
organizational structures around POV-Ray and the IRTC.

I'm not sure about the roots of the IRTC, but the recent "revival" was
/not/ run by the organization that owns the software name "POV-Ray" - it
was run by an individual from the community, for the community; all the
"POV-Ray organization" had to do with it was that it supported the
project with server space and communication channels (there is a reason,
for instance, that the IRTC newsgroups are not named "povray.*", but
"irtc.*").

So what you see is indeed /not/ the result of a cathedral approach at
all, but to the contrary that of a bazaar: A shop has closed down
because it didn't have enough customers, not enough employees, the wrong
quality of goods, or whatever - it was /not/ a decision of some high
priest to discontinue it, but of the person who had been running the shop.

Your problem is actually that you apparently /want/ a cathedral, where
you can just go to and receive something, and if you don't get what you
need you can blame it on the priests. A bazaar isn't that easy for the
customers: They have to go round and ask where they can get things; they
may have to invest something to get them; and some things may not be for
offer even when they're badly needed. And last not least there's no
single person or organization you can blame when something doesn't run
smoothly.

So here you are, standing in the middle of the market place, crying out
aloud that this whole bazaar you call POV-Ray makes for a shabby
cathedral. Duh.